Professor and Chair
College of Letters & Science l Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Professor Jonathan Martin joined the faculty in the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at UW–Madison in 1994 after completing his Ph.D. in atmospheric sciences at the University of Washington.
Professor Martin has received numerous accolades for his teaching, including the Underkofler Excellence in Teaching Award, a fellowship in UW’s Teaching Academy, and the Mark H. Ingraham Distinguished Faculty Award. He was chosen for the prestigious UW Vilas Distinguished Service Professorship, for distinguished scholarship and excellence in teaching and service. The Princeton Review recently ranked Professor Martin among the top 300 best professors in the nation.
Professor Martin’s research expertise is in mid-latitude weather systems. Over his career he has authored over 50 scientific papers, as well as the leading textbook on mid-latitude atmospheric dynamics. He also appears regularly on Wisconsin Public Radio as part of the two-man “Weather Guys” segment.
- Wisconsin's Role in a Remarkable Revolution
- A Brief Introduction to the Science of Weather and Climate
- High Impact Weather Events in the Transition Seasons: Linked to Climate Change?
- Trends in the Wintertime Lower Tropospheric Cold Pool in the last Half Century
- Basic Elements of Global Climate Change